Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I'm a Soldier!



Mekhi's 9-month check-up was a breeze (well, for him anyway)! He flirted with the nurses (as usual), played nicely with the other kids in the waiting room, read a book "Berestein Bears Visit the Doctor" (which seemed to depict our visit exactly.. Dr. Iskander gave it to Mekhi as a gift if you'd like to read it) and even managed to be braver than me. How?

At the end of the visit, Mekhi was scheduled for routine blood work. They prepped his skin and asked me to hold both of his arms tightly so he couldn't jerk away. I was a little hesistant because I didn't want him to associate my face with what was about to happen to him. Also, did I mention that I'm terrified of needles?? Which brings me to my next point, I didn't want my fear of needles to be transfered to Mekhi.

Anyway, when the nurse pulled out her tools... I was the one that had to look away. Despite the grip I had on Mekhi, he just played with a small plastic tube until an ink pen dangling for the nurse's lab pocket caught his attention. When the big moment came, he didn't even flinch. Looked down for a second at the blood being drawn and went right back to eyeing the pen... sizing it up and trying to figure out how he was going to get his hands on it. The nurse even called me out saying "I think your mom was more afraid than you were". Oh, she didn't even know how right she was (did I mention that I'm terrified of needles??)!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Times like this makes me excited and can't wait until when I become a mom.... And than I wake up and realize how selfish I am right now!!! Lol!!! I bet when the time comes I will be just as excellent of a mom as you :-)!!
Love ya
Iris

Mom said...

Iris, you're soooo sweet! Trust me, it'll come natural to you... you won't think twice about what your baby NEEDS versus what you WANT! When the time comes, you'll be ready and you'll make a great mom.... you're already a great friend!

Unknown said...

I love Mekhi's Blog! It makes me excited to have kids too (god willing). Good job mommy B! :)

Melanie

Mom said...

Mel, I can't wait to meet your muscle-bound, hyper-active, super-competitive babies!

Sophia said...

Too cute.. I LOVE the Blog "B" ... I absolutely LOVE the big picture of M he is a spittin image of YOU!!!!

Sophia said...

I think i fixed my lil problem.. LOL there thats better!!

Kristine said...

I love your blog! I'll check it often! PS--Where's my picture? ;)

Mom said...

LOL, Sophia you are funny! What is Class:Government 490?

Mom said...

Kristine, I should be asking you for a picture! Congratulations girl! Soon, you'll have your own starting 5.

tshahlavi said...

ahhh look at my lil baby.... this blog is toooo cute... I can't wait to tune in to read the newest adventure...

Anonymous said...

You're crazy!!! I can't believe he's so big, so soon!